At BLK Centre of Renal Sciences, Urology is an integral part and has been facilitating patients with most advanced dialysis machines. Fully equipped with latest diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, the Urology division offers world class services in subspecialties of Urology like ESWL, Laser surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery, Urodynamics.
All the urological conditionsare handled and treated by highly-skilled urologists in India like:
- birth defects
- stone disorder
- urinary incontinence
- prostate enlargement
- Obstructions etc.
An Andrology wing also handles matters pertaining to Male Infertility, Male sexual dysfunction and related disorders.
- Manned and equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, the centre is doing unparalleled work by maintaininhighest clinical governance standards and patient centric care, incorporating cutting edge technologies in the field.
- We are also one of the most sought after destinations for international patients coming from Iran, Iraq, the Middle East, the African Subcontinent and other SAARC nations (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Nepal etc.)
- The centre offers treatment to health problems like Endourology, Reconstructive Urology, Laparoscopic Urology, Uro-Oncology, Andrology, Prostrate Surgery and Stone Clinic.
A very specific specialty in urology in whichinternal endoscopes and tiny instrumentsare used for looking into the urinary tract and performing surgery is known as Endourology. It is a minimally invasive technique in which kidney stones may be located and extracted.
At BLK Super Specialty Hospital, a number of procedures are offered like:
- Urethroscopy: In case of any blockage in the urethra due to any calcification or blood clots an endoscopic instrument is inserted to clear any stricutres or blockages.
- Ureteroscopy: The procedure is conducted to extract any stones and tumors which may have developed in the ureter.
- Cystoscopy: The procedure is conducted to treat bladder stones or tumors.
- TURP: Similar to cystoscopy, the procedure involves removal of obstructing prostate.
- Nephroscopy: A minimal invasive procedure, it is used to extract stones and tumors of the kidney lining.
How will a doctor ascertain my condition?
Endourology procedures are usually suggested by doctors after conducting required tests for kidney stones or any urinary tract infection which may need internal investigation or extraction of stones through endoscopic instruments.
Are there any risks involved?
Endourology procedure is 100% harmless and is quite helpful in giving correct diagnosis. The tiny instrument assists a doctor in conducting internal examination to ascertain any ailment or disease. The surgery for extracting kidney stone is also effective and fast wherein a patient can go home the very same day.
Reconstructive urology surgery can help repair traumatic injuries to the kidney, ureter, bladder and genitals. It is also helpful in treating patients with birth defects, cancer, neurological disorders, scar tissue in the urinary tract organs, pelvic fractures and pelvic floor prolapse.
Our team has been successfully producing excellent outcomes for reconstructive problems including:
- ileal ureter replacement
- as well asa wide choice ofurethral and genitalreconstructionss
- for complex urethralstrictures, we also provide urethroplasty using buccal mucosa or penile skin
We have highly-skilled experts and doctors who specialize in:
Transition Urology or Congenitalism: Sometimes, a child may be born with congenital urinary defect which may be challenging for the infant and parents as well. At BLK, we offer reconstructive surgeries which help a child (male and female both) in leading a normal life. If not treated, the urinary defects may result in issues later in life like persisting infections, sexual problems and formation of stones.
Reconstruction of Genitals and Urinary Tract: We have highly-experienced doctors who specialize in conducting reconstruction surgery for urethra, bladder, ureter, penis and external genitalia. The deformity can be an issue by birth or due to some illness or injury.
Cancer Survivorship: Cancer treatment can take a toll on your body and may leave you with some health issues, which are easily treatable. At BLK, we have skilled experts who will take care of issues related to urinary control, sexual function and fertility. We also offer egg/sperm freezing which can be opted by patients going under chemotherapy.
- The art of performing surgeries through small incisions using special, telescopic instruments is known as Laproscopy.
- A laparoscope can be described as a narrow tube with a camera and lens attached to it. Typically, laparoscopic urology uses these minimally invasive techniques to treat a wide range of conditions affecting the kidneys, ureters, bladder and prostate with better results.
- At BLK Super Specialty Hospital, advances in technology allow surgeons to perform laparoscopic procedures with utmost precision. We are one of the few centres in India where Advanced Laparoscopic Urology is carried out regularly.
We offer Laparoscopic Treatment in different areas:
Kidney & Ureter
The laparoscopic procedure in Kidney & ureter is conducted in case of stone disease, benign or malignant tumor in kidney or urethra.
This procedure is conducted in case of prostate cancer, testicular tumor and pelvic malignancies.
The laparoscopic treatment is conducted on children with intra-abdominal testis, non-palpable testis, laparoscopic pyelolithotomy, pelvic node dissection, cystoprostatectomy, appendicovesicostomy, ileal conduit, ileal vaginal reconstruction, bladder diverticulectomy and ureteroneocystomy.
This field focuses on diagnosis and treatment of cancers of urinary systems. This includes patients with prostrate, bladder, kidney and testicular cancer. We offer various procedures like Radical Nephrectom, Partial Nephrectomy, Radical Nephro-ureterectomy, Radical Cystectomy with Neo-bladder Reconstruction, Radical Prostatectomy, Total or partial Penectomy with Inguinal Lymph Node Dissection and Radical Orchiectomy and Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection.
How a Urological Cancer will be treated?
After the diagnosis, a doctor may suggest the course of treatment depending on the type, grade and stage of cancer. The various treatments may include:
Surgery: The doctor would suggest surgery in order to remove a tumor which might have developed in the urinary tract. The tumor can be benign or malignant which a doctor may ascertain after the biopsy. The biopsy can be done after the removal of a tumor or before the surgery is conducted. A tiny portion from a tumor is extracted and tested for cancer.
Radiotherapy: Radiotherapy is recommended in order to treat invasive cancer. Radiotherapy sometimes is also combined with Chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is recommended to kill the growing cells of cancer or to reduce its growth.
- Andrology is a sub-speciality that deals with male health and problems related to the male reproductive system.
- Our team of andrologists provides comprehensive, state-of-the-art andrology services in cases of male infertility.
- This includes evaluation of possible causes of infertility and male sexual disorders. In addition, we offer treatments for Erectile Dysfunction including intracavernosal injections, vacuumerection devices and penileimplant surgery, along with psychosexual counselling.
What are the symptoms of male infertility?
There are no particular symptoms of male infertility. If a person if a person is able to do normal intercourse and is also having normal erections and ejaculation then only tests can confirm the main cause of male infertility.
What are the causes?
- Premature ejaculation, retrograde ejaculation, erection dysfunctions and complications from radiation therapy
- Pre-exisiting genetic condition
- Sexual problems
- Hormonal disorders
- Exposure to poisonous chemicals
- Injury to groin area
Male infertility can be a cause of depression for many men and is still considered as taboo and unfathomable in a patriarchal society like India. But, it is not uncommon to face infertility either in male or female and is equally troublesome for a person who wants to give birth to a child and is unable to do so. Experts at BLK will help you in counseling and briefing you all about male infertility and ways to overcome it. The doctors may suggest medical treatment to be followed. If all fails then they may suggest you to go for alternatives for having your own child like IVF or IUI.
- Prostrate plays an important role in the male reproductive system. The surgery for partial or complete removal of prostate is called prostatectomy. The most common reasons for prostate surgery is prostate cancer, enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Our urology department is equipped with the latest cutting edge technology in all subspecialties. Patients of BPH at our centre are treated with Laser Prostatectomy or Conventional Surgery (TURP), while TRUS biopsy is carried out for cancer patients.
- The main purpose of surgery is to maintain urinary incontinence, Cure problems and abnormalities of the urinary tract, Maintain ability to have erections, Minimize side effects and pain before, during and after surgery.
How will removal prostate gland affect me?
Prostate gland plays an important role in male ejaculation. If a person is going for Prostatectomy in old age then it may not be a concern but in males who are sexually active it may become quite exasperating as after the removal of prostate gland, the patient may no longer experience ejaculation. However, a male patient will still be capable of performing intercourse with equal pleasure as earlier.
- Our Centre has a modern, comprehensive clinic where patients are offered diagnostic and therapeutic services for all urological conditions.
- This includes evaluation of the patients’ treatment plan, as well as explaining the possible causes of stones and discussing necessary steps to be taken to prevent stone recurrence with patients.
- Our skilled and experienced team of experts handles the most complex of cases by discussing stone treatment and surgery options in detail with patients at the clinic.
What is the procedure?
A laparoscopic instrument is inserted by making a very small incision to extract the stone. The procedure is done under local anaesthesia.
What are Kidney Stones and why do they re-occur?
Formation of Kidney stone is a common health issue and is easily treatable. Sometimes tiny stones form and even releases from the body along with urine and we never learn about it. The larger ones or a cluster of stones in kidney needs to be extracted through a minor surgery. These stones are small masses of salts and minerals that get accumulated in your kidney.
Signs and Symptoms of Kidney stones
- Sever pain while urinating
- Frequent urination
- Pain in lower back
- Pain in abdomen
- Blood in urine
Signs and Symptoms of Gall bladder stones
Gall bladder stone usually does not show any sign of symptom and is discovered when you suffer from sever and sudden pain in stomach which is similar to appendix.
How can stones be diagnosed?
Stones, either in kidney or gall bladder are easily diagnosed with a simple ultrasound.
What precaution should I take post-surgery?
Initially doctors will advise you to take light diet. You may continue to follow a healthy diet to avoid kidney stones in future.