Unrelated Donor Transplant
What is Unrelated Donor Transplant?
Finding a match within the family can be difficult sometimes. As many as 30 percent do not find a match within the family,in case of patients needing stem cells from a donor. However, the remaining 70 percent can find a good match outside the immediate family through donor registries. To improve chances of finding matches for everyone, it is imperative that registries include donors from as many ethnic groups as possible.
How is an unrelated donor identified?
Volunteer unrelated donors are usually registered in large national registries. The age, gender and partial or complete HLA typing can help identify the right candidate. The transplant centre selects the best matched unrelated donor after several rounds of HLA testing. The donor is tested at the nearest donor center and after consenting undergoes either a marrow harvest or G-CSF (granulocyte colony-stimulating factor) mobilized peripheral blood collection.