What are the indications for a knee replacement surgery?
What if you are no longer able to move or do your everyday activities? This question is worth pondering a thousand times. We seldom take our health lightly and this can result in serious consequences in near future.
Same is true with our knees. As our age increases, our bones also become old and so we can’t expect to have the same energy. Knee related problem is commonly seen in people above the age of 60 and can create a lot of problem for them. All the sports people also don’t have to worry as there a lot of sports injury treatments available in India.
Knee replacement, also called arthroplasty, is a surgical process to correct your knee damaged due to arthritis. Metals and plastic parts are used to cap the ends of a bone that form a knee joint, along with a knee cap. Various types of arthritis can affect the knee joint. Osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that affects mostly middle-aged and older adults, may cause the breakdown of joint cartilage and adjacent bone in the knees. Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes inflammation of the synovial membrane and results in excessive synovial fluid, can lead to pain and stiffness. One also can choose amongst a wide range of knee surgery hospitals in India.
The basic idea behind knee replacement is to correct the knee and also to provide relief from the pain caused, which can’t be treated otherwise.
Knee replacement is only considered when there is disability in the knee and when there is a lot of pain involved. The most common condition that results in the need for knee replacement surgery is osteoarthritis. There are a lot of options for joint replacement specialists in India.
Any surgery, be it minor or major has its own risks and so does knee replacement surgery.
· Blood clots in the legs or lungs
· Loosening or wearing out of the prosthesis
· Continued pain or stiffness
Sometimes the knee replacement surgery may not work. In that case one has to again go for knee replacement. Nerves or blood vessels in the area of surgery may be injured resulting in weakness and numbness. There also might be some risk related to your health condition, so go and consult a doctor before going for any surgery.Knee replacement surgery in India is quite feasible and affordable,
· Before the surgery the doctor will explain the whole procedure to you and in turn you can ask more questions pertaining to the surgery.
· You will also have to sign a consent form before the surgery. Read the form carefully and make sure everything is clear to you.
· The doctor will run down a few tests on you like blood tests and complete physical examination.
· Notify your doctor about any allergy you have.
· You will be asked to fast for 8 hours before the surgery.
· Prepare your home well after the surgery as you might have to bring in some changes.