Head and Neck Cancer Program
- Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, throat and other rare cancers. These include cancer of the nose, sinuses, salivary glands, and lymph nodes.
- Head and Neck Oncology involve comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation including endoscopic procedures, major and minor resections, organ preservation surgeries, as well as complex reconstructions, including free flaps.
- At BLK Super Speciality Hospital, our BLK Head and Neck Cancer Program helps minimize the impact of cancer and assists patients in recovering and coping with side effects.
- Treatments focusing on preserving function, appearance and achieving cure.
- Minimally invasive proceduresincluding endoscopic laser laryngeal surgery.
- Limiting toxicity with advanced radiation therapy and chemo-radiation approaches.
- Highly experienced teams working closely with neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists, performskull base surgery, either endoscopic or open.
- State-of-the-art reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation to reduce morbidity.
- Intra-operative irradiation for selected recurrent tumors.
Types of Head & Neck Cancers Treated at BLK:
- Salivary Gland Cancer: It is one of the rarest of cancers to develop in a human body where the salivary glands start producing cancerous cells. The treatment involves removal of cancerous glands followed by radiation therapy, chemotherapy or both.
- Oral Cancer: The oral cancer may occur in lining of the lips, cheeks, teeth, gums, front of the tongue, floor/roof of the mouth. It is one of the most common cancers among people who are addicted to chewing tobacco.
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer: A rare form of cancer, it occurs in the space just behind the nose. It is the space from where air passes on to throat.
- Laryngeal Cancer: The Laryngeal Cancer is also known as cancer of the voicebox or windpipe. The cancer develops in larynx, a tube-shaped organ in throat which helps a person in breathing, talking and swallowing. After the treatment, a patient needs to go under voice rehabilitation.
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer: It is also a type of throat cancer and develops in the lower part of the throat which surrounds the larynx.
- Oropharyngeal Cancer: This type of cancer may develop in the base of tongue, back of the roof of mouth, tonsils or side & back wall of the throat. Tobacco or alcohol addiction is the main cause of this type of cancer.