BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant (BLKBMT)
BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant is a self-contained facility at BLK which is complete with cutting-edge infrastructure and globally trained, experienced faculty.
The Centre offers both allogenic and autologous transplant using bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells and cord blood stem cells for various benign and malignant disorders like:
- aplastic anaemia
- multiple myelomas
- advanced pediatric solid tumors
FEATURES OF THE TREATMENT
BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant is one of the largest centres of its kind in India and among the biggest in Asia. The centre is credited with Delhi’s First MUD (Match Unrelated Donor) Transplant.
BLKBMT and has to its credit more than 800 transplants within a short span. The in-house HLA/TBI/Blood Bank/DSA has 24-hour ICU back-up which is equipped with state-of-the-art laboratory services and transfusion services, along with a radiation oncology unit with facility for total body irradiation. The centre has performed the maximum number of transplants in North India. It is the largest BMT Centre fitted with HEPA filters with triple level air filtration to prevent infection. Emergency transplant without waiting.
TRANSPLANT TREATMENT COURSE
- Preparation: The first step includes medical evaluation, informed consent and other preliminary steps
- Conditioning: This is the phase before the actual transplant process where chemotherapy and radiation both begin. Conditioning therapy is administered in an outpatient setting.
- Transplant: Once the conditioning is done, the patient receives the infusion of bone marrow.
- Before engraftment:This stage includes close monitoring, support and managing complications while waiting for effects of engraftment.
- Observing signs of engraftment: The signs of engraftment can be assessed after 10 to 28 days with close monitoring and care
- Long term recovery:This is the stage dealing with leaving the centre, tackling clinical issues and understanding the need of following up for long term complications